16 December 2020

16 December 12020

309,330   people in the United States are now dead thanks to the current pandemic. My medical providers assure me that it will be many months before any vaccine is available for the likes of me, and the mathematics of the situation tell me that there is an appreciable chance I will be dead before that day gets here. In the meantime the authorities assure me that the best thing for me to do is to continue cowering in my basement and wait for a new stimulus check to arrive which is scheduled to be … well, never.

16 December 12020 is Pythagorean Theorem Day. Local holidays include Victory Day (Bangladesh), National Day (Bahrain), Victory Day (India), the sixth day of Hanukkah (Judaism), Independence Day (Kazakhstan), Day of Reconciliation (South Africa), and National Sports Day (Thailand). Notable people born today include Ludwig van Beethoven (nine symphonies among innumerable other compositions), Jane Austen (Love and Friendship, Pride and Prejudice, Emma etc), Margaret Mead (Coming of Age in Samoa), Arthur C. Clarke (Childhood's End), Randall Garrett (“No Connections”), and Philip K. Dick (The Man in the High Castle).

No comments:

Copyright © 2005-2023

StatCounter